Earth

Alphabe-Thursday Letter E

“I love this earth.”

My mother was lying on her bed. Her coughing had abated a bit. She’d been telling me about the drama of the birds that flew in and out of her burning bush by the bird feeder. She’d been telling me with the exuberance she would, in winter, tell me about the sun setting between her bare cherry trees; she didn’t like when the leaves returned, obstructing her view. Closing her in.

And she was telling me about how she loved the earth because she was telling me that at 94, she wasn’t ready to leave it. She didn’t want to die. “I don’t want to die!”

I remember my grandmother, who at the end of her own life was in a nursing home. She died at 92. And what I remember about visiting her was the bird feeder my mother had put up outside her window.

I understand more about that now – not bird watching. But watching birds. How at the end of it all,  there is more drama in the simplicity of a tiny bird’s own daily survival than you ever would have imagined. Back then. At the beginning of it all.

8 Responses to Earth

1. Esther Joy says:

The joys and cares of being a caregiver! Your mother sounds like she had spunk, and loved life!

2. Debbie says:

Your mother sounds like she’s still very lucid for someone her age. That’s great! 🙂 My mother is 89 and she has her good days and bad days. It’s difficult dealing with elderly parents and never knowing what’s going to happen from day to day.

3. tracy Cook says:

What a lovely post. My aunt in a merica used to watch the birds and feed them. I am sure that it saddened her that she could not see them as the life ebbed out of her body

4. Pam Beers says:

Isn’t it interesting that as we age, we can see more clearly what other people and animals must do to sustain themselves. There is a distinct sensitivity there. This story is very touching, Sandra. I love it.

I had never thought about why bird watching is so much fun. How wonderful that your mom gets so much joy and will to live another day simply by watching the birds frolic outside her window!

6. Ames says:

This made me cry. I miss my mother so much. And I really am scared of being left in a nursing home. Thanks for bring awareness to the lonely elderly.~Ames

7. You have such an extraordinary way of touching my heart with your words…

I always enjoy visiting here.

Excellent post for the letter “E”!

A+