Waste Not, Want…More?

Alphabe-Thursday: Letter W

“Waste not, want not.”

Her mother’s motto forever, but one far more pronounced as she grew older.

On Jenna’s weekly visits, she found rinsed-out freezer bags from the dinners she’d brought her mother, in the dish drain. Bags still too greasy to reuse. (Her mother used to run them through the dishwasher until they melted around the blades.)

The tattered piece of aluminum foil she reused daily,  to wrap up her english muffin so it wouldn’t get cold while she ate her hard boiled egg.

A sponge worn down to a sour sliver.

“You’re going to use paper towels?”  Marge said, when Jenna accidentally kicked over Fat Cat’s enormous ceramic water bowl.

“Use the mop.”

“It’s too much water.” It was a flood and quickly pooling along the grout toward the living room rug.

“I’ll get the mop,” her mother said, turning toward the hall without her cane so she began to teeter….

I’ll get it,” Jenna said. The old self-wringing one, grey from too many mopping years.

Jenna smeared the water around so instead of a pool, it was a lake.

“Oh, dear it’s all over the kitchen now…”

Jenna began to seethe. “Don’t you have to go to the bathroom?”

“What?”

“You usually have to go…”

Her mother complained about her too-frequent bathroom trips, how they would come on her suddenly, almost too late.

“Oh, all right…” and as she turned around, carefully traversing with her cane around the lake, and out of sight, Jenna grabbed the whole roll of towels. She used way more than she needed to mop up the lake. Until the floor was dry as a bone.

She found too much satisfaction for a daughter who held to the same “waste not want not” motto in her own home, where she didn’t even use kitchen sponges but reusable dish cloths. A satisfaction that would metamorphose into a gnawing guilt on the hour drive home. A guilt that made her miss her mother as if she were already in her grave.

Subscribe and Submit your favorite posts to The Woven Tale Press

This entry was posted in writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Waste Not, Want…More?

1. Very creative ~ and universal feelings at times ~ great post for W ^_^

2. leigh says:

All too true…first the guilt about the feelings then the guilt about the rage. Nicely done.

3. Jerimi says:

Oh wow, do I feel this one. I’m in my late 30s, now, and right up through my late 20s I still washed out baggies and put them in the drainer. I inherited a fear of scarcity, and the deeply held belief that, one day, there won’t be enough. Thank you for sharing this.

4. Heather says:

How creative!! Good food for thought!

5. Pam Beers says:

This is such a touching story. I reuse as well, sometimes to the point of being ridiculous, but that’s how I was brought up…by a mother who was raised during the 1929 depression. Very moving blog post.

6. Seems like mom carried things to the extreme! But I guess that’s one of the things that come with age. I don’t reuse plastic baggies or aluminum foil, but I do wash the dishes with cloths I have crocheted! I’d be mopping up that water with paper towels though!!
    So glad you stopped by my blog today!

7. kgwaite says:

A really lovely piece – I actually sewed cloth rags from sheets, so I could definitely relate!

8. steph says:

Awww, sweet story… preparing to miss her mother, that got me.

9. bettyl says:

I’m afraid I can relate…all the way through.

10. Deb says:

oh dear! That sounds too familiar… {:-D

11. Guilie says:

As a daughter living far, far away from Mom, that last line really hit home 🙂 Lovely tale you spun here, Sandra–thanks for sharing. And thanks for the visit to my blog earlier this month–so sorry it took me forever to visit you back.

12. This is a really clever Work of literary genius for the letter W…

Your story is really Well-Written…

Wonderful job!

Thanks for sharing this With us!

A+