I’m imprisoned

A-Z challenge: Today is letter I!

“I’m imprisoned.”

Jenna’s mother sat on the edge of her bed, sifting through mail she’d brought her from the post office, on her weekly visit.

That’s where she found her most days when Jenna arrived, sitting or napping on her bed. Half made, the teal spread dragging on the floor.

“It’s cruel. I don’t have to go that far. Just one block, to the market and post office.”

Jenna had stood beside her mother at the DMV window as her mother, with an arthritic index finger, drew on the counter a map of that one block. How she only had to drive up her street, turn right, go one block, and turn left into the parking lot where was both the market and the post office.

After slamming her car into the wall of a carpet store, Marge had been called in to be road tested. She’d failed miserably.

The DMV lady had respectfully but dully waited for the map-drawing session to be over, and for her mother to hand over her license.

“They should have separate laws for the elderly,” her mother went on, flipping angrily through a Victoria Secret catalogue. As if her mother ever ordered from Victoria Secret.  “That at least we can drive a single block. Just to get food.” She tossed the catalogue across the bed. “And our junk mail.”

Jenna was left speechless as she had been at the DMV. Standing next to her mother, watching her draw that invisible map across the grey formica counter. The kind of speechlessness when you really did wish there was actually something you could say.

This entry was posted in A-Z, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to I’m imprisoned

1. We recently went through this with my father-in-law. I can relate. Nicely done.

2. Trisha says:

Ouch! Sad thing is, it does happen. My friend’s nanna recently drove into her own wall out the front of her place, even though she had plenty of room to get past it without hitting it! Poor lady.

3. We’ve been trying to decide when to talk to the FIL about giving up his license. Not an easy subject.

4. Hi, I’ve been reading your A-Z posts and I’ve nominated you for an award! Check out the rules at : http://sujataravi6.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/whee/ .

5. My arthritis prevcents me from walking very far, so I really would be imprisoned if I couldn’t drive. I dread it happening to me.

6. Susan Kane says:

Oh, this is too very real. My mother and father both found this point in their lives. My daughter worked at AAA, and frequently was the one who explained why the license and insurance had been canceled.

7. Joyce says:

I had a 93 year old do a number on my parked car in the Target lot. There comes a time when the license needs to go.

Yes, Joyce, you made that same comment on my post about my mother losing her license on which this is based. You made your point then loud and clear back ten too. Heard ya:)

8. Beverly says:

That’s definitely a tough issues and you captured it really well here.

9. Interesting post, with lots to think about for sure!

10. Thank you, I rarely read pure fiction on Google+. This was a well-told story created within an interesting scenario.

11. Sandra, I recently took my 80 year old mother to the DMV and since she had lens implants, she no longer wears glasses. They made her read close to the bottom line, more than likely due to her age. They were surprised. And received a new license.

This reminded me of my Grandma. She got stopped by the cops a mile from her house driving along on the wrong side of the road. That was the end of her driving days.

13. Jenn says:

This is something I think the elderly struggle with…as is the case with my 91 year old grandma…her license is due for renewal on her 92nd birthday. She is grappling with the idea of just giving up her license because she feels she is just getting too old. At the same time, it means giving up a good deal of her independence. Not that she drives that often, and rarely that far, but it is the whole idea.

Thanks for sharing this! Cheers, Jenn

14. Dani says:

Makes you stop and think about the elderly, doesn’t it.
    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

15. Wendy says:

Never easy when it comes time for that. Saw the result with my grandfather and my father.

Very well told, I look forward to reading your previous and future posts.

Nice to meet you on the A to Z!

16. ElaineLK says:

Sandra, my mom used to say the same thing. “I only go to the grocery store…the drugstore.” When she gave up her license she always said “I feel like a prisoner.” She’d get so bored. She loved going grocery shopping–it was like a hobby. (I hate it.) I always felt bad. My husband and I took her out on the weekend, but it wasn’t the same to her.