Forced Down That Murky Midlife Path

Trifecta weekly challenge word: path 3a : course, route
b : a way of life, conduct, or thought

This is not a path she would have chosen. Not back at fourteen, when she experienced her first kiss, with an equally inexperienced boy, his tongue fumbling in her mouth like an over-eager puppy’s.

Not even when she turned 25, and leggings were still in, and she worked at a NYC fashion magazine. Back when turning 50 had seemed that. A path she could choose if she wanted to – or not. Because she was still too young to actually imagine growing old.

Now she was embarking down that path. Shoved from behind by the emboldened 49. She had to write the horrid number for the first time, the day after her birthday, when she happened to have a doctor’s appointment. She had to write it on the medical forms. Her age. 50!

It was as glaring as the numbers on the hideous 50th birthday cards that all, with cheesy humor, made light of of this round number. So very round – a well-weathered beach stone.

And yes that, hard as a rock!. You could pound it with your fist. A hammer. It refused to break.

16 Responses to Forced Down That Murky Midlife Path

1. Libby says:

Sandra! Hi!

Well, I love your piece, as usual! I think what I really love is the imagery… shoved by the emboldened 49… a well-weathered beach stone… You are really talented.

2. Christine says:

Love the depiction of the number as a stone!

3. Joetwo says:

Nice reflection on lifelife. Well done !i

4. I remember that muddy path. Seems I’ve been mired in mud ever since.

5. @dmauldin3 says:

Forced Down That Murky Midlife Path: http://t.co/kcZkyqOq

6. Bee says:

Oh, yikes — that path! I have a feeling the character also refuses to break.

7. steph says:

Shoved from behind from an emboldened 49 – that’s a great line. It’s scary, isn’t it, when you wake up one day and realize how much time has passed. But, it’s the start of a new decade and anything is possible! Happy Birthday, Sandra!

8. kgwaite says:

Happy birthday again! Another great piece on turning 50. Love the rude shoving of 49 and the worn weathered rock that refused to break.

9. You can keep those over-eager puppy kisses!

10. Atreyee says:

Welcome to the golden years Sandra:-)This path is not as bad as it is made to be ,it has it’s pluses too-the last line of your poem says so,see?Refuses to break:-)Well done.

11. jody says:

as bad & pushy as that darn 49 was, it couldn’t have been as bad as that 14-yr-old kiss! lol

12. JannaTWrites says:

Nice piece about turning 50 (49 is pretty rude, shoving like that!)

13. Draug419 says:

I love the idea of trying to pound 50 into smaller pieces (:

14. Oh yes, I could totally relate to this. Now I am passing down another writer challenge for you. I tagged you and several other bloggers in my new post today. No pressure–you don’t have to do it if you don’t want to. But if you DO decide to take on the challenge, there are no rules—you can answer as many or as few questions as you want. let me know if you are interested…..

I’m honored to be tagged by one of my most favorite bloggy friends! I’ll see if I can do it though I’m not reliable always on following through on these things. Especially as we’re facing a blizzard and may lose power once again, and kids are home earlyy….argh. Can barerly type now with dog on keyboard and little bro at elbow.