Go Fly a Kite

Kite Reflection

Jenny Matlock’s Letter of the week is K!

She was racing down a beach, flying a kite.

She was light as a feather – the kite whirled on the wind, her feet skimmed the ground.

She was lifted skyward. She was sailing out across the ocean, and she knew it was a dream. Gazing down, she could see schools of fish weaving underwater, and she was no longer afraid of heights as she had been all her 94 years.

When she woke, she wouldn’t try to move an aching arthritic limb or consider braving another day – when she could barely reach down to pull up her socks.

She would not think about her fear of even the smallest heights; climbing a step ladder to change a light bulb. She was unbalanced. She could fall.

Instead, she took back up her kite, raced down the beach again, unencumbered. Light as a feather.  So fearless, she wished for a gust of wind to lift her even higher, so she could grab and steal away the Big Dipper by its handle.

11 Responses to Go Fly a Kite

1. Esther Joy says:

Very true, our lives are rewritten by the people in our lives!

2. Jim says:

:) Hi Sandra, I’d love her dream and I’m not nearly 94. Well, not near 94, but I may never get that far. Nice “K” word. I like kites but you just about have to have a kid to fly one. Or an exotic kite for adults.

Thanks for peeking in on my “K” Kangaroos. It was a fun cruise, Princess New Zealand and Australia, plus we stayed three nights and three plus days in Sydney on our own.

3. Jim says:

4. Tracy says:

To fly freely like a. Kite

5. Theresa Wiza says:

Beautiful imagery in this blog.

6. Beautiful. Just beautiful!

7. Anne says:

I’ve always wanted to fly a kite. Seemed like just by flying it, I can also fly.

My husband got our boys a big beautiful kite one year and he couldn’t wait for the beach to fly it. So he flew it in the back yard. It’s been hanging from a tree branch ever since, now it tatters. Going on what, 6 years?

8. Anne says:

We have had a lot of wind! Nice kite flying weather! Great post! I am late but I am here! Thanks for sharing!

9. This gave me such a lump in my throat.

It made me think of my sister before she died, bedridden.

She always wanted to ride her bike again.

One day I pushed her wheelchair down the street.

It was actually funny. My Dad was chasing behind us yelling, “You’re going to break the wheelchair!” My Mom was chasing my Dad yelling, “Quit running! You’re going to have a heart attack!”

And my sister.

Ahhhh.

My sister was laughing until tears ran down her face.

Thanks for a lovely memory.

And thanks for sharing your lovely writing.

A+

Oh, Jenny, what a heartbreaking but terribly funny memory; you have to post about that. Have to. Or get it written in stone somewhere. What a wonderful moment.