Alphabe-Thurs: J for Jellybeans

Jenn Mattock’s Letter Challenge this week is J

She was craving a bag of jelly beans. As sometimes she still craved a pack of cigarettes to chain smoke, even though she’d quite a good thirty years ago.

She didn’t even like sweets very much. But there were days like this, when it was too warm for winter; when a mist hung in the air as if it were already March. When the grey permeated her apartment, and she felt too alone, hearing people rushing back and forth outside on the sidewalk, that sharp clatter of heels. Of people having somewhere to rush off to.

And she would crave that – the sickly sweet of her childhood. When the Easter Bunny used to hide jelly beans in all the nooks and crannies of the house she grew up in. The beans she’d miss could be found months later, melted and stuck to window sills or in a dusty corner of the spice rack. Finding those old jelly beans even way back then could make her feel nostalgic. As if already as a child, she was already feeling old.

15 Responses to Alphabe-Thurs: J for Jellybeans

1. Stacia says:

“The sickly sweet of her childhood.” Love that.

2. LadyInRead says:

i can relate to finding jelly beans months later – with my two little ones, i do find these and other sugary stuff around – sometimes i have to just follow the ants..:)

3. Tracy says:

I love jellybean s , sadly or maybe thankfully they are expensive here in uk .
    My cousin took his kids to the jelly bean factory one year and came home with the biggest box of the darling candies.
    In every flavour you could imagine.
    Thanks for sharing

4. I have to avoid the aisle at Target that has so many flavors of jelly beans — they are definitely addictive! So glad you stopped by my J post!

5. Judie McEwen says:

i have to divide them up into colors and eat each color separately. i don’t crave them often, but when i do…

6. Debbie says:

Makes one feel nostalgic! I enjoy your writing very much. Have a good weekend.

7. More awesome writing from you! And now I’m craving jelly beans…..

8. Anne says:

Jellybeans! This one takes me a trip down memory lane…

9. I love the image of finding old jelly beans all around the house! Can almost feel the sticky and smell the sugar!
    Cheers,
    Gordon

Gordon, I keep thinking about your post and how we should post our links in forums etc. Any advice on how to target the right forums beyond just googling?

10. I tend to crave cookies more. Now and then. Last night we were running errands and I made my husband stop at a Paradise bakery. I didn’t even want the whole cookie. Just a few bites.

What poignant writing.

I’m jubilant I got by to read it!

A+

11. Damyanti says:

That’s so nostalgic and moving.

Stopping by to welcome you on board the A to Z Challenge April 2013
    Look forward to your challenge posts!
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

12. Melanie Schulz says:

Memories are powerful, especially ones about our childhood. Beautifully written.