Trifecta Challenge: Idle

This week’s Trifecta word is: idle, with the definition: 3: a : shiftless, lazy

These idle teenagers. She saw them everywhere, little gaggles, staring down at their gadgety phones.

Excuse me,” she barked at one group outside a deli, purposely barging through them with her styrofoam cup of crap coffee.

She’d thought they’d at least look up a bit alarmed, a flock of birds she’d scattered.

They didn’t scatter. Just backed up, bumping into each other, their youthful fingers still tapping away at tiny keys. Like trying to tap out some tune on the tinny toy dollhouse piano she had as a kid.

Once back in her car, sipping her coffee which wasn’t as crappy as she’d expected (she preferred Starbucks) she gazed out at the youth. From a distance now, they did look like birds. Young gangly ones, who, if they weren’t holding gadgets, would have been flapping around, trying out new wings. In her day, when she would hang out, it was at the mall, in video arcades. Pacman! Oh, well, times change. The young just made her feel older than she felt; she remembered playing Pacman like it was yesterday, rather than twenty-odd years ago.

She finished her not-so-crappy-after-all coffee back home, checking her email on her iPad. Only a the last Generation iPad, but she already had her eye on the new iPad mini…

19 Responses to Trifecta Challenge: Idle

1. Sandra Crook says:

Plus ca change…. (sorry can’t do a cedilla in WordPress) A nice reminder that there really isn’t that much difference after all. Good one.

2. jody says:

all a technology-use perspective, isn’t it? (though I am a little tired of cars weaving into my lane because their operators are looking down doing the same as those teens!)

3. joetwo says:

I like how she seems oblivious to the irony of what she did when she got home. Nice ending.

4. Annabelle says:

Ha. Apple’s insidious influence really is everywhere, isn’t it?

5. Stacie says:

Haha, she’s just as hooked as they are! Me too 😉

6. stephanie says:

This reminds me of those new commercials – genius I think – that portray a 13 year old telling a couple of 7 or 8 year olds how good they have it because back in his day they had to wait a whole 4 seconds for a page to load. They are hilarious. This captures that beautifully. Everyone wants the latest technology – including me.

7. Draug419 says:

I’ll take PacMan over a coffee house any day. (:

Ahhh Pacman! I remember it well. I remember walking to the neighborhood 7-11 near my house loaded down with change and money to buy a Slurpee while I played Pacman. Never was any good at that game but that didn’t stop me from unloading a ton of change into the blasted machine. LOL
    I find teenage girls texting so annoying. LOL O-M-Gee what could THEY possibly have to say that is so important. LOL

9. JannaTWrites says:

Ha! Love the irony at the end. So critical of the young ones and their gadgets, but she has one of her own :) My son was walking around with his iPod the other day and ran into a wall. His head still hurts, and I suggested the shocking idea of putting it away while walking.

10. Patti says:

Every generation has its toys, doesn’t it? As a youth, I lived in a world with no iPads, no cell phones, no video games, very few “malls” (we had shopping centers). Our toys were bikes and roller skates, and record players to play our collection of 45s. My parents chastised me for being idle. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

11. It’s always nice to be reminded about perspective.

12. Atreyee says:

Ha!ha!What a great piece!The way the youth always seem to arouse the angst of the previous generations-maybe its a craving to be young again;-)Enjoyed the description of the teens as a flock of birds & that not so crappy coffee & ofc the ending was the best,lol!

13. The metaphor of the teenagers as a flock of birds scattering—brilliant writing!

14. I do like the decidedly descriptive twang to your writing! 😉