Blogfest 2012 Prompt #1: Parties

This is the first prompt for Blogfest 2012; Join in the daily blogging fun!

Parties. Hmm. You mean when you have to get dressed up and stuff like that? When I have to give up my usually purple fuzzy slippers, Target T-shirts and acrylic exercise pants?

Oh, yeah, I remember: New Years! Every year at my husband’s family in NJ, where I carefully rotate between the three rather fancy glittery T-J Max-found outfits, hoping no one will say, “Oh, I remember you wore that in 2008.”

I like these big-bang noisy obnoxious parties because they’re overcrowded with mostly people I don’t know, all yelling over each other to be heard, and I can have as many drinks as I want without anyone noticing. Kind of like my old college parties, though back then we all knew how much the rest us were drinking as we lined up in a wet basement for watery Utica club beer from some leaking keg.

Other than that, parties seem to be birthday parties for my boys. I’m old fashioned. I do these at home, and my boys love the fancy party tables I set up with balloons, pirate or dragon centerpieces. Unlike the cafeteria-style tables at most of the parties they go to, at commercial places where you pay an arm and a leg for your kids to slice each other up with lasers, or bounce on big plastic castles which way before age six, became old.

I’ve come to despise these commercial parties where the teenage personal keep checking their watches for their cigarette breaks, and have turned over such party duties to my husband. And it’s good I don’t have any real adult parties to attend, since, outside of my three glittery outfits,  I have absolutely nothing to wear.

S0, donned in my purple slippers and usual comfy clothes, I’m happy to paaaaaarty alone with a cappuccino  in my  rocking chair with a good book in a rare spare moment. Does that count? Ok, make it a glass of my favorite pinot grigio, Mommy’s Time Out.

Old-Post Resurrection Blog Hop Now Open! Link Up!

12 Responses to Blogfest 2012 Prompt #1: Parties

1. Zunnur says:

Hi Sandra!

Whichever way you set up the birthday parties for the boys, what is important is the enjoyment. I make simple birthday parties at home for my kids too and we enjoy ourselves. And I very much like the idea of partying on a rocking chair with a book and a cup of coffee, sounds so pleasant.

2. Jenn says:

You’re parties sound like my parties. And yeah-I don’t even think I have 3 fancy things to wear ANYWHERE…maybe a funeral suit and a festive blouse with sequence…that is it. Most of the parties I attend these days are just that– home thrown birthday parties, cook outs, and once in awhile a wedding or anniversary party. Although when I went to Florida in April I did get to go to a pool party!! That was a lot of fun. Other than that, I don’t get to go to very many parties anymore.

Thanks so much for blogging along in BlogFEST 2012!!

Cheers, Jenn.

3. Blogfest 2012 Prompt #1: Parties | – http://t.co/tJNpn9bJ #BlogFEST2012

I don’t do many parties anymore. My social life sounds about like yours, except I go bare foot because I don’t have any fuzzy slippers. 😀

5. You know there’s a lot to be said for those fuzzy slippers, a yummy cup of cappuccino and a good book.. Add a bubble bath to the mix and I’m in! Cheers!

6. I steer clear of those party centers too, my kids never liked them and I never liked the cost!

parents around here just indulge in them every year. We’re the only ones who do a traditional small party with his closest friends, and the kids always love it. I also resent having to travel 40 minutes to an hour on the expressway and have to spend my saturday afternoon, really kills the day, at these places. Such an imposition. Our parties are drop-off, two hours max. ANd cheaper!

7. I am so with you when it comes to outfits. I hate shopping. I have one dress that I bought last year for the holiday party I went to and have not worn it since. I guess I am going to wear it again this year. I’ll be dieting from now until then! Can I borrow your purple slippers? They will go with my party dress and I won’t have to wear heals!

8. Jo Heroux says:

Now that’s my kind of partying! Love it.

9. Sulekha says:

The best part about home alone parties is the freedom to be yourself without others judging you. Lovely post…

10. Oh my …cappuccino in you rocking chair with a good book in a rare spare moment :-) Sounds like a great party there! I enjoy going to parties but not my hubby, unless he knows the companies.